2021 MCU Movie Dubbing Contest
The English Language Center (ELC) is proud to be holding its annual university-wide Movie Dubbing Contest in the hopes of enhancing students’ speaking skills while engaging them in having fun imitating the pronunciation and intonation of the movie voice cast.
Application: April 12, 2021 to April 30, 2021 in I-314 on Taipei campus and Q-502 on Taoyuan campus.
May 7/2021 (Friday) 14:00 - 17:00 in B901 on Taipei campus
May 14/2021 (Friday) 14:00 - 17:00 in M104 on Taoyuan campus
(The two contests may be combined to one on Taoyuan campus on May 14, if there are too few participating groups from either campus. Please be aware of further notification.)
Who can apply?
Contestants must be:
Current MCU students (undergraduate or graduate).
Non-English major students and Non-IC students.
Have not resided in an English-speaking country for more than a year nor have studied in an English-instruction institution for more than two years.
1. Contestants must sign up in groups of 3 to 5 people and each contestant may only participate and compete in one group in the contest.
2. Bring the digital format of the two application forms to ELC office by the designated deadline (forms available online on ELC’s website)(see below) and the digital format of the original English script of the movie in Word document format (make sure to arrange the script in the order of dubbing performance; please use font size of 10, single-spaced lines, set the margin to 1 cm on all sides, and print double-sided).
3. Each group must choose a movie or animation clip of 5 to 7 minutes for dubbing. After the clip is edited, please ensure that the clip can be played on “media player” or “real player” software and burn it onto a CD or USB. Remember to bring it on the day of the contest.
4. On the day of the contest, contestants should be punctual and check-in with their student identification cards and the movie or animation clip. The order of the contest will be determined randomly by a draw after check-in is completed and will be announced immediately.
5. The staff will take the draw for contestants who fail to check-in on time for the order of the contest and the result is indisputable.
6. Contestants will be disqualified if they fail to show up at the venue after 3 calls when it is their turn to present the dubbing.
7. Sound effects: During the contest, there will be a projector screen for the movie or animation clip to be shown. The voice of the original voice cast must be mute. Contestants may do the following to add sound effects:
Bring their own instruments or props to create on-site sound effects.
Play the edited soundtrack of the original sound effects with the voice of the original voice cast deleted.
Play their own original computer synthesized background music added and edited onto the clip.
How do we decide the winners?
Pronunciation 25% (Limited to the original movie script and speed)
Intonation and vocal emotion 25%
Group chemistry and dynamics 10%
Sound effects 10%
1. Dubbing performance is limited to 5-7 minutes. Five points will be deducted from the total final score for performances that are less than 5 minutes or more than 7 minutes for each minute that is over.
2. Each group is allowed 5 minutes maximum to check and test the clip and microphone.
3. The total score of each group will be ranked from high to low and the judges will deliberate and announce the winners.
First-place: award certificate
Second-place: award certificate
Third-place: award certificate
1-2 Honorable Mentions: award certificate
All participating contestants: participation certificate.
1. Make sure that all personal information on the application is correct. Do not participate under false name.
2. Any changes made regarding the contest will be announced 10 minutes prior the contest starts.
3. The contestants are responsible for making sure that the movie or animation clip on their CD or USB is playable.
4. Make sure that the original voice of the voice cast is deleted.
5. Keeping the original English subtitles is permissible. The original script of the movie or animation clip is not limited to English only.
6. Contestants should check-in 30 minutes before the contest starts.
7. All work and clips used in this contest may not be uploaded anywhere online.
8. Contact information:
Taipei campus: (02)2882-4564 Ext. 2331 Ms. Alison Duh
Taoyuan campus: (03)350-7001 Ext. 3178 Ms. Tina Wu